Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Magma lava, Moose and a bear.






August 14, 2007
Miles driven 319


So this morning was spent trying to start to catch everyone up on the bog, chilling at the hotel and enjoying the4 continental breakfast and free cable. And by the way what kind of continental breakfast has biscuit and gravy.

We then stocked up on some sweat pants for Laura my least favorite store in the world Wal-Mart. It certainly dwarfs most stores but I get itchy with an instant desire to be removed from Wal Mart.

We then drove and stayed within the state of Idaho but it felt like we were in a completely different planet. We visited the Craters of The Moon National monument. Which was basically this barren land formed by lava rocks from over millions of years with the last eruption being about 2000 years ago. There were some really cool white flowers which were such a contrast on the lava rock and then just a completely different world with different hills and little valleys and craters. In one hole there was still some winter snow even though it was at least 90 degrees outside; evidently because lava rock is such an excellent insulator. I think I might design a whole product line including Lava. We also collected another stamp. I know you guys are all jealous.


While driving we saw this huge yellow sign that said and I kid you not
Warning to tourists
Do not laugh at the locals
This was one of the funniest things I have seen in a while. Great comedians those Idahoans.

We arrived at Grand Teton just after the visitor centers had closed and were greeted with some great views of the Tetons (mountains) and then of course we saw our welcome crew a Moose just chilling in the water. There really is nothing so cool as just seeing animals beyond birds, squirrels and chipmunks just chilling in the wild. Moose are real big. But this guy basically posed for pictures as he drank his evening water really cool stuff

We also saw a bear cub looking for some dinner on the grass along one of the roads. It was basically a bear butt but the Ranger beeped and asked us to move, as there was no pull off nearby to safely watch the bear cub from.

Got to camp with just enough sunlight to set up camp in record time and then treated ourselves to a meal at the hotel near our campground. I actually had some great Rocky Mountain trout washed down with Some Moose Drool. Nothing wrong with that.


One more random thought. / I commented on RV’s earlier but now I am going to comment on motorcyclists exploring the nationals parks. First off they are everywhere and I know I am closed-minded but I really didn’t peg the Motorcyclist as the die-hard Nature seeker. Second they are really safe usually and almost always have all the protective clothing on which is such a huge peeve of mine because states like Illinois don’t even have helmet laws which can be such a huge life saver. But anyway evidently via motorcycle or vespa is the way to see the parks.

Tomorrow’s my birthday and we have an early wakeup call for a float trip so I think I am going to stop blogging for now.

No comments: