Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Sunrise with the Europeans, Golf, and Arrival at Yosemite Park







August 7
Total Driving 365 Miles
So I woke up of course before the crack of dawn, I have this great hotel room, the first real bed I have slept in for over a week, first time with air conditioning and I wake up at 5:20. I said to myself if I wake up early enough then God wants me to see the sunrise. SO I did. I drove about 4 miles to a place called Zabriske point, which was sort of similar to the Artist’s palette, and again I got to truly experience it with the Europeans. There were at least 20 Europeans out there watching this sunrise, which was pretty cool as it lit up this multicolored hill. I randomly walked in front of this guy’s video as he had it on the ground on a bag trying to capture the sunrise just another reason for the American’s to be hated. By the time I got back it was almost 7 and of course Laura’s idea of vacation and my idea of vacation don’t always sync up.

I decided I would go golfing at the lowest golf course in the world at the hottest time of the year. Now first off for you to truly enjoy how hilarious this is. I don’t golf. I really think it has probably been about 3 years since I have golfed. And to make it better the only stipulation was that there was video and camera documentation. So half the time I as setting up the camera and then running to pose for a picture as I was setting the camera up on the course. It was a lot of fun. very relaxing. I have certainly been way too competitive and awful usually when I have golfed so it was nice to just relax and play and it was pretty course especially considering it was a dessert. I didn’t really keep score.

We then enjoyed another great swimming trip in the natural spring fed pool, Laura laughed her ass off at my golf documentation and we had breakfast and got going towards Yosemite. We snagged another passport stamp and at the National Historic Site which was a Manzanar Japanese entrainment Camp and then grabbed Lunch.

This is where it gets interesting we really wanted to see the Devil’s postpile which was supposedly on the way to Yosemite So on our way we passed through this town called Mammoth lakes which really seems like a great town for hiking, biking, skiing, snowshoeing and all sorts of outdoorsy activities with some cute restaurants and bars too. But anyways while almost there Laura realized that our reserved camp was about an hour and a half outside of Yosemite each day so that it would be quite challenging on us and so we tried to call about reservations for an actual campsite in Yosemite which of course were all full. So we decided we’d still play a little camp roulette and see if we could get a first come first served campsite. Unfortunately our planned stop the Devil’s post pile was a bit of a dud as the only way they were allowing people between 7Am-7: 30PM was via shuttle and it was an expected 2- 3 hour commitment so we bailed on that and headed towards Yosemite. We got to Yosemite in time to sneak in a stamp for the Tulomean meadows sectionThe two campgrounds that we knew we could get were 3- 4 miles off the main road and pretty close to back road camping where you are boiling water so we decided to try for the one that claimed they had flush toilets and tap water and we literally grabbed the last camp site available. Which was great. We had to drive a road constructed drive after setting up camp in to the valley for ice and some other supplies but we survived and were utterly exhausted by the end of it. So that was it I would probably call golfing a surprising unexpected highlight.


No comments: